Tuesday 9 May 2017

Morgan's Brew Tea Company: Gunpowder Tea


It's fair to say that recently I've tried quite a lot of tea's of all varieties. And never have I been happier. I love all the different types of tea for plenty of different reason's, but I will admit that I am a bit partial to a nice green tea.

And Gunpowder green tea is a particular favourite, so this evening, whilst craving a cup of green tea, decided to try and review this lovely blend which was part of April's teatourist box from their subscription service. The tea is from Morgan's Brew Tea Company and it's a fabulous Gunpowder Green. 

I have explained in previous reviews of other gunpowder green tea's, the distinctive name of the tea comes from the fact that the green tea leaves are rolled tightly into small balls which really do resemble old gun shot!


This wonderful blend makes an impression almost from the first moment. The tea has gorgeous leaves and I love how there are three shades of green within this tea. So attractive and interesting to look at!

When I snipped open the packet  I absolutely loved the strong, earthy aroma this tea has. For me, who loves green tea's grassy elements, I was in seventh heaven.

I will admit that I probably overfilled the teabag somewhat but I just wanted to get as much of this tea into the cup as I possibly could! I couldn't wait for the kettle to boil and I stuck rigidly to the two minute infusion rule. Mainly, of course, because I wanted to taste the tea at it's very best, but I'll also admit that I felt far too impatient to wait any longer.

To my surprise, the tea infused to a dark green colour which was really quite pretty.

From the moment I took my first sip I was not at all disappointed with this tea. It has everything in it that I so obsess over when it comes to green tea.

Firstly, this is a full flavoured green tea. Green tea is a tea that can vary in taste quite a lot. On one end of the spectrum you have the light, floral type flavour and at the other end you have the heavier, grassy one. This tea is probably midway between the two. Strong and satisfying without being overbearing and bitter.

This is a Chinese green tea and because of that it has a rich, smooth flavour and is incredibly easy to drink. It has a intense depth of flavour that is very common with gunpowder green and which I find totally irresistable.

Whilst drinking this blend I felt totally revived and it will be the perfect cup of tea to consume after a long day at work. It's also incredibly refreshing too, and sometimes I don't always feel refreshed after a cup of tea. This blend is just perfect!

Gunpowder Green is the ideal tea if you like your green tea on the stronger side, full of flavour and packed full of the familiar (and much loved) grassy, earthy elements. However, if you are  new to green tea and find it quite strong, you can always add a little bit of sweetener or honey to soften the strength without losing any of the natural flavour.

This is just a utterly delightful cup of tea. And I am really pleased I got the chance to try it!

With each sip of this tea I fall even more in love with green tea. And that can only be a good thing!

1 comment:

  1. GUNPOWDER GREEN IS ALWAYS MY GO TO OPTION FOR GREEN TEA. IT'S FAR STRONGER THEN MOST GREEN TEAS AND IS A PERFECT KICK START TO THE DAY IF YOU FANCY A CHANGE FROM BLACK TEA OR COFFEE. INTERESTING REVIEW THANKS.

    ReplyDelete