Friday 5 May 2017

Tea In The City: Ben Shan Oolong


My second review of the evening is another tea found through the fabulous teatourist service.

The tea in question is a wonderful oolong from Tea In the City. Sadly I cannot link to the tea directly as I can't find the tea on the companies page. However, I hope you find this review helpful nonetheless!

I love oolong. There is no denying it. For me oolong is the perfect cross between black tea and green tea and I genuinely always find it a satisfying and comforting cup of tea. Though, I will admit, it's only recently that I have started to drink this tea.

I think part of why I like this tea is it has many of the qualities that I adore in green tea. A earthiness, a grassiness or even a floral element, depending on which tea you get, these qualities you don't get in black tea.


Visually this is a stunning tea to look at. I love how tightly curled the leaves are, how they have a lush green colour to them. Just a joy to look at! They also feel really lovely in your hand, too!

The infusion time for this tea is just two minutes and when infused is light green in colour. Almost translucent.


Though this tea is paler in colour it's certainly full in flavour. This oolong just sum's up everything I love about oolong.

Firstly, this is a very smooth and easy to drink tea. There is nothing bitter or astringent about this tea (which is partly down to me following the infusion instructions closely) and it's just a pure joy to drink. Sometimes, with oolong, you do get a slightly bitter twang at the end but this tea is totally devoid of anything remotely bitter. It's rich and lovely and I find it's the perfect companion to unwind to.

When I first took the sip I was met with a lovely nutty flavour. Almost like a Yunnan black tea in that respect. I loved how it made my mouth feel all refreshed - just a lovely experience.

Alongside the nutty flavour there is a roasted flavour too, making the tea richly flavoured and deeply satisfying.  And despite the nutty flavour, there seems to be almost jasmine elements popping through too! This is a really good cup of tea!

This tea is able to be re-infused up to three times. I'm on my second infusion and can honestly say the glorious nutty flavour remains, and it loses none of it's punch, either. I may have to try and reach a third infusion over the week as I probably wont be able to have a third cup this evening. I will update this blog when I've infused for the third time.

Overall this is just a tasty, yummy oolong. It has everything I love in tea. Smoothness, depth of flavour and it makes me feel happy and relaxed.


No comments:

Post a Comment