Friday 29 September 2017

Hotel Chocolat: Teaolat Cacao Breakfast Tea


This evening I am wrapped up in bed drinking one of the most luxurious tea's I've ever been fortunate to taste. It is not only extremely tasty and one hell of a treat - it's also stylish and elegant. The Jackie O of the tea world.

This gorgeous blend is from Hotel Chocolat and is a blend called Cacao Breakfast Tea.

I will admit that this is a costly tea. On researching this for the blog I noted it was £5 for ten tea bags. This is luxury and the rest of the box, I have decided, will be held back for Christmas.The tea was given to me by my dear friend, Christine, who had purchased it whilst on holiday earlier in the month. Without her I would not of been able to try this tea and I can only thank you, Chris!

When I was discussing chocolate based tea's with a friend years ago they thought it was simply a case of a chunk of Dairy Milk being chopped up and mixed with tea leaves. However, I can say, it's far more sophisticated then that! This tea consists of malty Assam tea and cacao shells which are the shells that form around the cacao bean. Mostly, it's thrown away but Hotel Chocolat use the shells's for it's rich, luxurious taste. And that is exactly what this tea is.

Tonight, as I have done everytime I've tasted this tea, I opted not to add milk to this blend. This was a brave step for me as I cannot take breakfast blends or Assam tea without milk. They are too strong or too malty for me so I have to add a dash of milk to take the edge off. However, with this blend not only would the milk be superfluous, but would totally distract for the rich, deep flavour of this tea.

When I drink this tea I am totally aware of the luxury. And this is a tea to be savoured and enjoyed at leisure, not gulped back whilst you're heading out of the door. I always give this tea fifteen minutes to fully enjoy, and it deserves only your full attention. You cannot share this tea with anything. That would be scandalous.


The tea comes in silky pyramids and is full to bursting with tea. In the picture above you can see the rich Assam tea leaves with the cacao shells chopped up. They are the pieces that resemble chocolate.

I placed this tea in the mug and let it infuse for three minutes. From the moment the packet is opened the chocolate scent is easily detected. It's gorgeous and surprisingly not sickly as some chocolate teas can be. The tea brews to a dark amber colour.

The base tea in this blend is Assam. Assam is a strong blend easily detected by it's full bodied, malty element. I wasn't sure how this would work using a tea so strong. Would it detract from the chocolate element? Well, I'd say no. In fact it's a partnership that works really well together. The strength of the Assam tea really supports the chocolate taste very well indeed.

I loved the robust Assam used in this tea, it's of a very high quality. It's rich and just mild enough not to be overpowering, however, if you over brew this tea I expect the Assam, and it's slightly bitter edge would ruin the tea. Brewed correctly, however, it's a real delight. I've never been able to drink Assam without milk so it's full flavour is always partially hidden, in this blend I could enjoy it fully.

The cacao shells bring a glorious, smooth chocolate flavour to this tea. It's not quite as smooth as milk chocolate but far less bitter than dark. It's somewhere in between I guess, but I love the rich element to this tea. It's really, really good. Very moreish and you feel as though you're having a real treat when you drink this tea. I love how the chocolate flavour lingers in the mouth long after the tea has been finished - a pleasant reminder of the tea that is, quite frankly, joy, happiness and luxury in a cup.

This is quite a unique tea and it's actually quite hard to describe this tea in words. It has tea like elements from the Assam tea, naturally, but it also has hot chocolate elements too. A weird cross between two drinks, yet somehow it really works.

As I'm watching my weight, and as chocolate is firmly out (till Christmas, at which time I shall loosen up a bit and have one or two Roses) this is a really good substitute. It's devilishly wicked and tempting, however, is wonderfully devoid of all the naughty bits that makes real chocolate bars off limits to me! It's certainly a win win for me! Perfect for those times when only chocolate will do. (Which I admit is quite often!).

This is a glorious tea. And ideal for a winter treat. It's expensive for a relatively small amount of tea, however, on this occasion I certainly believe it's best to have a little less of something that is REALLY GOOD rather then have lots of second rate, cheap tea.

I cannot wait for my next cup, which will be in a few months during the festive season.

If you want pure, indulgent, luxury then with this blend from Hotel Chocolat that is certainly what you get. There is no doubt about that.

All I can really say is thank you so much Christine for your very kind gift. It meant a lot and tastes delicious. Without you, I'd never think of trying this. I didn't even know Hotel Chocolat did tea!

So, readers, why not treat yourself?

Sssh, though, as this tea is our little secret!



No comments:

Post a Comment