Thursday 28 September 2017

Whittard: Blend No 97: Breakfast Earl Grey


Over the summer quite a lot has been going on here at Laura's Tea Room so I haven't been blogging quite so much. I still felt passionate about tea and passionate about bringing tea reviews to my readers, but, quite honestly, I was tired, stressed and whenever I attempted to blog it was with a half heart.

But recently I've tried a selection of tea's new to me and all of these fantastic new blends have well and truly reignited my love for all things tea and I have missed blogging so much that I am now back, fully refreshed and eager to go!

Throughout my absence I have had several emails from a reader named Tony who simply wanted nothing but to check in and see how I was doing. He, and his wife, are absolute tea addicts but who sometimes feel lost in the huge range of tea that is out there. So, with Tony in mind, and with his dedication to Earl Grey, I thought it fitting the first tea I review is a Earl Grey.

I have never hidden my love for Earl Grey. I've always been upfront and honest that I am totally obsessed with the blend. I love it's rich, full flavour. I've drunk some exquisite Earl Greys and some downright awful ones. And my honest opinion of Whittard's Breakfast Earl Grey is that it sits, smack dab in the middle of that spectrum.

At the end of August, a dear friend from Blackpool, where I used to live, had come to London with her daughter to visit the sites and see a couple of shows, so one of the day's she kept free and we had a wonderful day out, drinking plenty of tea and catching up. I hadn't seen her in three years and it was as if not a day had passed without us seeing each other - I guess that is what a real friendship is all about. No matter the time or distance it stays rock solid.

A lot of the day was spent meandering around Covent Garden - an area that despite being a Londoner I hadn't visited often but have gotten to know well since I moved back. And of course, no visit to Covent Garden would be complete without a trip to Whittard's.

My friend was very patient as it took me ages to pick a tea. Somewhat lost in the choice I fell back on a Earl Grey. It was, I thought, a safe option. So, I went back home and boiled the kettle. Sat back and almost instantly that familiar, much loved Earl Grey scent filled the kitchen.

Breakfast Earl Grey, according to Whittard, is designed to be a stronger version of it's normal Earl Grey. Something to give you a kick start in the morning. I suppose it's slightly akin to having Assam instead of Breakfast tea in the morning. It is supposed to have oomph, to have the same effect as that early morning coffee. It's designed, I suppose, to get you up and going in the morning.

But does it do just that? Is it so radically different?

I have to say yes, it is!

Firstly, lets talk about the technical aspects of the tea. As far as I can tell the tea is only available in a pack of 50 teabags. I didn't notice the tea having a loose leaf option in the shop and it only brings up teabags on the website so I'm assuming that is all the tea is available in. Despite what the picture shows above, the teabags are actually slightly coloured so I am assuming they are unbleached though I cannot say for definate. Inside the box the tea bags come in a foil back to preserve freshness. I would highly recommend that you keep the bags within it's original foil packaging as it's quite strong and the flavour may seep into more delicate tea's if kept together.

I have long become used to using loose leaf tea and making my own teabags so I will admit having a ready made bag is a wee bit more convenient in the mornings when I'm only half awake. Slight laziness on my part I will happily admit!

The tea is an absolute joy to watch as it infuses. It starts off as a light amber colour and then develops into a rich copper colour. From my experience of this tea, I would say that once it reaches the copper stage that is when the tea is infused enough and the teabag is ready to come out. Of course that is my personal choice, you may find you'd like it in longer, but when this tea is described as being stronger than normal Earl Grey Whittard are not lying!

I don't actually think that even I was prepared for the strength of this tea. It pretty much knocked my socks off. Yes, I drink my tea black so of course it would appear strong then to those who add a splash of milk to their tea, but my god it really does pack a punch.

The base tea's used in this blend are a very good mixture. There is a strong and malty Assam tea, a rather more mellow Ceylon tea and a brisk, fresh and bold Kenyan tea. Mixed together they form a tea strong enough to take the Earl Grey flavour.

The base tea's form a rich, earthy, almost coffee like flavour. It has a slightly roasted element about it too. I like the fact that it's really flavoursome and has depth. However, I do find that some of the bags really allowed you to taste and experience the base tea's whereas other bags tasted more of the bergamot element. I'm not sure if this is a blending issue or even if it is just a change in my tastebuds but I would of preferred, overall, to experience the rich flavour of the tea far more than I have done so far - and I'm about half way through the packet.

So what of the bergamot flavour? Well the bergamot orange is what is used to give Earl Grey it's distinctive taste. And this is very strong indeed. In fact I would say at times the flavour is almost overpowering. Though it's lovely and I adore that familiarity I would have to say it's the strongest Earl Grey I've yet to try and sometimes it's just a bit too much. Even to the point where I can't always finish a mug, other times I can drink it down almost in one.

This is such a odd tea for me to blog because it is such a changeable tea. Now it could be again down to my taste buds but sometimes it all feels just too much other times it's just right and perfect. And I swear blind that the blending of tea varies between each teabag.

I would also pay much attention to the making of this tea. I infuse this blend for three minutes exactly. Even a half minute more can turn this tea from a pleasant Earl Grey to a bitter, nasty mess. So in a way, this tea is extremely delicate in as much as it needs to be handled carefully, almost mollycoddled through the infusion process. If you leave this tea to infuse whilst you go off to answer that phone call or go to pick your mail up off the mat - do it at your own peril as it could mean the difference between a lovely cup of tea and a horrid one.

I cannot decide if I like this Earl Grey or not. The quality of the ingredients are very good. The actual base tea is delicous. Yet, the strength of the Earl Grey is slightly off putting. Sometimes it's fragrant, sometimes it leaves a oddly perfume like flavour in your mouth. Sometimes it works for me, other times it doesn't. Not much help to you, the reader, I understand. But it's one of the oddest tea's I've ever experienced because I just can't decide whether it's my thing or not. On paper it should be. In my heart though, it's not hitting the spot.

To sum this blend up, I think you'll love it if you like your tea strong, you like the perfume element of Earl Grey and you take your tea with a splash of milk. It may not work for you if you drink your tea black, dislike the floral element to Earl Grey or don't like strong, overpowering flavours.

I think this is a blend that I shall leave you to make your own mind up about. And I will continue drinking this till I have emptied the box, however, I don't think I'll purchase this again. I'd much rather buy a refill of Bohemian Raspberry, my personal favourite blend that Whittard sell (now that is a blend that makes my mouth water!).

This tea is interesting in as much as it's really made me think about tea. And it's put me at odds with myself. I'd love to hear your views if you decide to try this tea.

And for Tony, if you've not tried this yet, you need to!








1 comment:

  1. I LOVE HOW STRONG THIS TEA IS! I HAVE BROUGHT SEVERAL BOXES THIS YEAR WHEN I GO INTO TOWN. MY WIFE LIKES IT BUT ALSO WE BOTH AGREE WITH THE VALID POINT THAT THE BLENDING IS OFTEN OFF AND DIFFERS FROM ONE BOX TO ANOTHER. A GREAT, AND FAIR, REVIEW LAURA AND THANKS FOR THE MENTION.

    ReplyDelete