Friday 6 April 2018

eteaket: Blooming Marvellous


I love Friday's. I work the entire weekend into the new week so Friday's are like most people's Sundays. I try to relax, unwind and enjoy doing what I love to do - mainly drinking tea and blogging, of course!

Today though seems to be a even better than normal Friday. It's been a long, harsh winter. We've had it all here in the UK. Rain, wind, lots of snow and achingly cold temperatures. Today the sun is out, the air is warm, the grass in our garden has burst into glorious, green coloured life and the squirrels that use our garden to run around and play in are bright eyed and bushy tailed.

Also, today, this months wonderful box from the tea subscription service, teatourist, arrived today. It's  is, quite frankly, one of the highlights of my month. I deliberately avoid their emails which give us tantalising hints into what is contained within the box. I love to be surprised. And today it's is a varied selection.

I spend a moment reading about each tea and this wonderful blend, Blooming Marvellous by eteaket immediately struck me as very interesting. And potentially tasty. So after all my chores were done today, I made my first cup.

Blooming Marvellous is a green tea.  The base tea is a Chinese sencha. It is bursting with strawberries, sunflower petals, rosebuds, mallow and lemon, red berries and vanilla flavouring. It's  jam packed when it comes to flavours. I was intrigued to try it!


This tea is a beautiful tea, visually. It's large, green leaves are natural and healthy looking - which is something that appeals to me. They are light in colour and the sunflower petals and strawberries add a lovely dash of colour within the blend.

It's incredibly aromatic. When snipping open the packet, you are hit with a wonderful mix of fruit and floral scents. Mouthwatering indeed.

As this is a green tea I am especially picky about how I prepare this tea to get the very best out of it. I put two teaspoons into the infuser. I used freshly drawn water and boiled it to 80 degrees, leaving it to infuse for three minutes. I am a passionate advocate for green tea and like to prepare it with the respect it deserves.

Indeed, as I suspected this tea fully sums up the glorious weather. It is like spring in a cup. It's light, breezy, refreshing, tasty and fun. It brings a modern and elegant twist to traditional green tea and I was immediately blown away by it's gorgeous flavour, which is as mouthwatering delicious as the tea's scent is. teatourist have done incredibly well, as they always do, to include this tea in this months box!

Firstly, the wonderful sencha is both tasty and smooth - it is a genius idea to include this as the base tea of the blend. There isn't a hint of bitterness or astringency about it. It's just wonderfully smooth and of a very good quality. A delightful green tea. I love the lightness to the tea and it's very yummy indeed.

I mentioned earlier that this tea is filled to bursting with flavour and I did wonder for a amount about whether the amount and variation of additions to the tea would make a confused jumble of a tea. It's hard to mix floral and fruity ingredients together and get them to work, but eteaket have managed just that. It does work! And it works extremely well.

The first flavour that comes through, and is very strong and natural is the fruity flavour of the strawberries. I have a odd relationship with strawberries. I love strawberry flavoured things, but I don't enjoy actual strawberries as I don't like the texture. This is a wonderful way to enjoy strawberries. The flavour is strong and full on and adds a very special element to green tea. It's nice to see green tea paired with strawberries, it's not a mixture one comes across very often.

From the sunflower petals you get a slight herbal element to this tea which adds a extra layer to the tea. First and foremost though the fruity additions to this tea are which come through the most strongly. I love that alongside strawberries you have the slightly stronger addition of red berries. The berries and strawberries work well together to present a flavoursome addition to this fairly light base tea.

Alongside the sweet berry flavour you have the addition of the lemon which brings a refreshing and tasty citrus twang to the blend. It takes the edge off something that would be very, very sweet. This is a extremely well blended tea.

I will admit that I didn't detect any flavour of vanilla. However, there is, weaving through this tea, which you detect more at the end of the sip, is a smooth richness. It's like adding liquid velvet to the tea. It's just glorious, plain and simple.

I have been totally blown away by this tea. Instant love. Admiration at first sip. My tea instincts honed in on this blend as soon as I opened the box from teatourist today, and I was not disappointed in the slightest.

For a green tea it's full of flavour and is full of fun, too.

This could be, putting it honestly, my perfect tea for summer 2018.








1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a delicious tea. A really great blog by the way. You are quite right - it does sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete