Friday 13 April 2018

Jollybrew Tea Co: Blood Orange Marmalade



Last week the wonderful - and they are wonderful - folk at Jollybrew agreed to send me some wonderful samples that I could feature on the blog. I was beyond pleased when they said yes because I've had some fun interactions with them on Twitter but realised that it had been a very long time since I tried any of their tea.

Earlier this week a little parcel arrived through the post containing several lovely sounding teas. But, the orange in tea addict that I am, my eyes were drawn to this marvellous fruit infusion - Blood Orange Marmalade. 

I absolutely love blood oranges. I eat them, drink them in cordial and now am enjoying them in the comforting warmth of tea. Life couldn't get much better!

I couldn't wait to crack open this infusion and give it a go, which, I will admit, I did almost as soon as the samples arrived.


Visually, this is one stunner of a infusion. It's so bright and colourful. I love the blending of bright orange and red colours in the tea. It's just so pretty and wonderful and healthy looking.

I filled my infuser with a generous amount of tea and left it to infuse for several minutes watching it develop from a a clear liquid to a rich, strong, orange tinted drink. To see the colour emerge and swirl within the water is just so lovely. I left the tea to infuse for five minutes.

The infusion has a strong and pleasant fruity aroma. So far, this infusion ticked all the right boxes.

As I settled down into my comfy chair I took my first sip and it was lovely and refreshing. I always consider cold drinks to be refreshing but this tea is exactly that - I was thirsty when I made the drink and it certainly is a good thirst quencher.

This blend contains orange, apple and rosehip pieces as well as hibiscus petals.

This infusion is a full bodied, rich and well rounded. Upon first sipping you are hit with that lovely orange flavour. At the beginning of the sip it's nice and sweet and that sweetness is incredibly moreish - you just want and more of it, it's certainly a sweetness that appeals to someone who is trying to avoid sweet things. But towards the end of the sip there is a slight tartness which does take you by surprise but keeps this blend interesting. It gives the tea that extra bit of kick and I think it's really a fun and wonderful infusion.

Alongside the orange there is a underlying crispness to this infusion which I think comes from the apple pieces. It adds brilliantly to the blend - not only do you get a wonderful aroma and a vibrant flavour, it's also has a great texture to it, too. There are many different levels of flavour that all work together to create an interesting, vibrant and very modern infusion.

I love how you go from rich sweetness, to bold tartness. From the mouth watering benefits of the blood orange to the refreshing and crispness of the apple. There is, in addition, a gentle floral tone from the hibiscus petals.

Blood Orange Marmalade is, quite simply, an awesome infusion. It's ideal to relax to at the end of the day. As this contains no caffeine it's perfect for a late evening, before bed brew. And I think it's going to be marvellous as summer approaches. You can have the comforting benefits of a hot drink, whilst at the same time, experiencing something that is equally as refreshing as something you'd find in the chiller in the local supermarket.

This blend is healthy, funky and fun. And I am so glad that I managed to try this tea.

I urge you, the tea drinker, to give it a whirl. You won't be disappointed with this infusion, because, it's simply sunshine in a cup. And you really can't ask for anything more.




No comments:

Post a Comment